Regardless of how your company views safety (investment or expense) the post should have some great information for you!
Today I am going to talk about 4 ways to improve your safety program, in no particular order.
- The more you know the better equipped you will be to keep your people safe.
- Look for resources such as books and ebooks, blogs, videos, and safety leadership training like those found at the BasicSafe website.
- The great thing about these resources is you can find many of them for free or for minimal cost.
- There are also many safety organizations, some of which will let you attend once or twice before needing to pay a membership fee. They are a knowledge bank that you can’t afford not to invest in.
- Check out the National Safety Council, ASSP, and talk to experts in your area
2. Improve Training Methods
- The more aware your employees are the less likely they are to have an incident.
- Areas to look at improving are- training frequency, retention rates, and quality of training.
- Sometimes simple changes such as quick talks each morning about specific safety topics go a long way to improve your safety culture and incident rates.
- Track your training in a meaningful way to see if it is improving. This is possible with spreadsheets tracking training data and incident data however I would recommend paying attention to number 4 for a more reliable method.
3. PPE and other Equipment
- Sometimes the cheapest equipment costs you the most.
- Invest in PPE and equipment that will work better and last longer.
- A good example of this is using a product like dB blocker vs. cheap boxes of earplugs. Up front they will cost more money but will save you money in repurchase and in claims down the road.
4. Efficiency Tools
- The amount of time your company loses in day to day tasks could be spent making them more efficient and productive.
- Invest in products meant to improve the efficiency of your existing processes or that create new and better processes.
- The right tool should actually make your company more profitable which is a great case for more budget!
- For example BasicSafe users generally save 90% of their time compared to using spreadsheets or in house developed programs AND have a minimum 4:1 return on investment because of the time, paper, and insurance savings.
If you have more questions leave a comment below or reach out at the link in the description!
Thanks for reading guys and have a great rest of your week.